The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Wednesday, February 20, 2008


While perusing the web and reading about ways to improve pullup performance, I stumbled on a marvelous thing: assisted pullups using resistance bands! I have a resistance band, so I decided to give it a try, since my pullup capability isn't what I'd like. They certainly made a difference today, but not only that, but I hit a personal record for pullups. Here's today's workout:


Warmup, Circuit of 30 seconds each exercise, 3 sets
* Jumping Jack
* Split Jack
* Prisoner Squat
* Alternating Lunge
* Mountain Climber

Workout
Squat, 165lbs, sets: 8 8 8 8 8 8
Close-Grip Chin-Up, 5 (yup, FIVE) 2 (unassisted), 3 4 2 2 (assisted)
Lean-away lateral Raise, left/right, 20/12 20/12
Hanging Leg Raise, 7 5

The last time I did pullups I could only do 4. It's taken a long time, but I've gone from not being able to complete ANY to doing 5 in a row, and that's great. Hopefully the assisted pullup thing will improve my unassisted numbers as well.

41 minutes, 294 calories burned

No comments: