The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Well, my brain has been declared dead. Or should be. I dunno.

In Making the Cut, one of the first things you do is calculate your RMR. You can use an online tool, or you can do the calculations yourself with a formula provided in the book. I opted for the formula. I REALLY wish I could find the paper where I did my math, because certainly I was wrong somewhere along the line.

I had my calories set for 2166. The past 3 1/2 weeks I've been EXTREMELY careful to be as close to this number as possible. After three weeks, you're supposed to recalculate BMR. This time, I used Excel.

The formula is, for men:

66 + (6.23 * weight in pounds) + (12.7 * height in inches) - (6.8 * age in years)

My BMR is 1711!

So I was thinking, hmm. As of this morning, since I started the new plan I've gained 4 pounds. 4 pounds in 3 weeks, and I've been trying hard not to be upset over it because I've lost an inch around the middle. Still, the results certainly haven't been what Jillian Michaels claimed in the book, not even close.

So let's see... 2166 - 1711 = ~455 extra calories I've been eating every day. So I look at my log software, which will tell me each day how much deficit I had.

Today: 542 calories
4/1: 331
3/31: 320
3/30: 583
3/28: 95
3/27: 433
3/26: 730

So with JUST those, taking an average, what do we have? 433 FREAKING CALORIES!!! Sound familiar?!?!?!?!? Yup, I've been set up for maintenance.

I swear, man. There must be something wrong with me. Today's what, Day 24, off day, cardio day. 6 more days and the 30 days are up. After that I'm starting back at Day 1.

I should be an expert now, right? :)

No comments: