The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Today was supposed to be a gym day, but it didn't quite work out that way since Tim decided he wanted to run again. This time, he wanted to do 3 miles, so we ran my 5k route. It's the same as the route we ran yesterday, going partway through the route a second time to catch the extra distance.


He did the same thing again, too. I was slowing down for him, but he kept speeding up. When we got to the 2.5-mile mark, he sped up from 10 min/mi to 8.5, and a half-mile later, he was exhausted. I think we ended 3.1 at 11. I burned about 400 calories, which isn't too bad. It was kind of nice running shorter two days in a row, although a bit weird.

Meanwhile, someone from the Tivo Community Forum turned me onto some software called SportTracks. While comparable to the Garmin Training Center, in many ways it's better. It even tracks equipment, so the next time I buy some shoes, it'll come in handy.

What's even cooler is its output to Google Earth is much better. While the Garmin software shows every point along the route, SportTracks will put just the splits if you want. Here's an example, from my Saturday long run:


Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with it.

No comments: