The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Friday, August 07, 2009

CIM Training Week 1, Day 5: REST!

That's right, it was a rest day. Good thing, because I was driving ~8 hours to our vacation destination, Lava Beds National Park. I'd never been there before, so I was relying on directions my friend Beej gave me. Luckily, he gave detailed instructions on how to get there.

Driving up I-5, I took the Hwy 299 exit and drove to Burney, took a left towards Burney Falls, and drove around Medicine Lake to get there. It was a beautiful drive through forests of trees growing through old lava flows! While not technically part of the "official" monument, it was certainly part of the same formation.

Once there, I met up with some other friends and set up our tent. By the time that was done, it was too late to do any exploration, so I fixed dinner. We spent a little time by the fire, and while my wife took the kids to bed, I went with my friends to the campfire, where the ranger gave a talk about Lava Beds.

No comments: