The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

CIM Training Week 1, Day 3: 5 miles

Today I needed to get my brakes done, so I went to Les Schwab, which also happens to be on my 5-mile running route. The plan was to take the car in, then run the 3 miles clockwise around the loop. When it was finished, I would run 2 miles clockwise, then drive the car back. That was a great plan, and it had actually calmed down quite a bit since yesterday.

But...

It was raining. I've run in the rain quite a bit before, I actually enjoy it, but I'm still in recovery mode! So there was a bit of nervousness. On the way out the door, Cheryl from work was outside smoking, and she left me with two words: "You're CRAZY." I actually liked that in a way. Later, someone commented that it was a bit ironic, the woman outside, in the rain, smoking, telling the guy who's about to run, outside, in the rain that he's crazy.

OK, so I took the car in, and wouldn't you know it, the rain stopped!





3.36 miles, 34:59, 475 calories burned

Back at work, I did my job for another three hours or so until the car was ready, then ran the 5 miles the rest of the way back, completing the loop.





2 miles, 19:07, 295 calories burned for a total of 770 for the day. During the second part of the run I ran quite a bit faster, and my heart rate was up to close to 170 average. Still working to get that back down.

Step by step, I guess.

No comments: