The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Saturday, November 28, 2009

CIM Training Week 7, Day 6: 3 taper miles

What's a taper mile? Heck, I dunno, but that's what I'm callin' 'em. I'm in taper mode, right? End of the 2nd week, in the shorter runs, all that jazz.

Anyway, today was a scheduled 3-mile run, and as I promised my son on Thursday's run, I took him with me. Since it had rained yesterday, I didn't want to have him ride through the puddles and cover himself in cold mud, so I ran down Skyway behind the airport.

When I woke up this morning, AccuWeather was claiming 25mph winds outside. 25mph! So I put off the run until about 10:30, but the wind hadn't died down at all. According to Sporttracks, the wind was only 8mph, but I don't care, 8 or 25, it was windy, and tough going. On a few occasions, my son completely stopped riding because he simply wasn't pedaling heavy enough to cut through the wind. In fact, Mile 3 is significantly slower due to having to stop completely to wait for him to catch up. Gotta love it!





Splits
Mile 1: 9:34
Mile 2: 9:28
Mile 3: 10:32

3 miles, 29:36, 9:52/mi average, 364 calories burned

Now, tomorrow... tomorrow's my final long run, leaving exactly 7 days until the California International Marathon. One week! Nervous much? I'm being repeatedly assured that the marathon will go well, I'm just a bit nervous. Only 9 miles to run during the week until the big day.

And so it goes.

No comments: