The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Saturday, December 05, 2009

CIM Expo Day 2

Unlike yesterday, I spent most of the day meeting people. The first was Jose Galvan and @miz_wronskian from Twitter(I apologize for not remembering your name) while they were waiting to see Bart Yasso speak. Since I'd seen him speak the night before, I opted to meet with Gina Harris for lunch.

Gina's a neat lady, she didn't start running until her 50s, and has been running for the past 3 years. She's also done 3 marathons! We've talked quite a bit on Twitter, unlike the other people I had met, so we had more to talk about. I'm going to meet Gina at her hotel, where we'll catch the bus to the starting line in Folsom. I'm not looking forward to getting up early for it though, the bus leaves at 5! Living an hour away, that means I need to get up at .

After lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe, Gina opted to go back to her hotel, since she'd already spent over $100 and didn't want to spend more. I still needed to buy "supplies", so I took the shuttle over to Fleet Feet in midtown. I bought 4 packets of cytomax, a few gel packets, and two pairs of socks.

Once back at the expo, I got to meet Megan Storms, @veganrunningmom on Twitter and the web. She has a pocast called Run Vegan Run, a fabulous podcast not only about running, but about vegan eating as well. While not a vegan, I do enjoy listening to her podcast quite a bit. She was there with her husband, @veganrunningdad (once again, my apologies for not remembering your name) and their two kids, along with her coach, @speedysasquatch (sorry!).

As I got into my car to leave, I got a tweet from Michaela Baltasar (@biscuiterie on Twitter), saying that she was eating an early dinner at Lucca. It also happened that I was parked right next to the place, so I went over to meet her and her parents.

In the end, I met 7 different runners I wouldn't have known had it not been for this wonderful thing known as Social Networking. Now see, the Internet *can* be used for good things!

Tomorrow's the day. All the training, my injuries, coming back, it's all led up to this. Now if only I could get rid of the wind, things would be perfect!

No comments: