The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Saturday, April 03, 2010

5k Group Run

The other day I got an email from Rob, asking if I could help him with his computer. I'm all for helping him, he's certainly helped my wife and I enough over the years. I responded suggesting that I could work on it today, but I did need to run 10 miles this weekend, hint, hint. In other words, did he want to join me?

He said he was going to be running 5k this morning with his son-in-law, James, and another guy from our church named Joseph, but I was welcome to join him. I'm always for a group run! I put off the 10-miler until tomorrow so I could run 5k with the boys.

We got started at 7:30am, and it was colder than it has been, so I went with tights and a long sleeve tech shirt. James brought his german shepherd, who was a fabulous dog. James and Joseph hadn't run over 2 miles before.

We went out slow, and James was surprised we weren't trying to smoke him by going too fast. After the first mile, Rob suggested doing a fartlek, so we sprinted for about a tenth of a mile. Once that was over, while we slowed down, we never slowed down as much as before.

In the 3rd mile, I commented to everyone about the lack of slowing down. In the last tenth, we sprinted again, up to about 7 minutes per mile. It was great!





Splits
Mile 1: 10:30
Mile 2: 10:04
Mile 3: 9:45
.1 mi: :41 (7:05/mi)

3.1 miles, 31:03, 10:02/mi average, 329 calories burned

No comments: