The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Monday, October 04, 2010

ANOTHER 5k PR

Wow. Now I need to play catch-up.

First off, congratulations Ken for getting into the addic... I mean, ACTIVITY known as running! You'll have a blast. Think of it as P90X, minus the pullups.

So last week I ran the 5k, or should I say, the not-5k, and IMHO knocked it out of the ballpark. I also knew I had more to give.

I had the opportunity this past Saturday to give it another go, with another local 5k. Once again, it ended up being a short race, 2.82 miles. I should have known, looking at last year's times on their website, all the times in my age group were REALLY fast. Now I know there was good reason for it. :) And once again, I totally and competely surprised myself.



Splits
Mile 1: 7:19
Mile 2: 7:34
.82 mi: 6:04 (7:25/mi)

My finishing time was 20:58, 7:27/mi. Multiplied out to the full 5k, and I PR'ed again, this time at 23:04... a FULL MINUTE faster than LAST week.

What the heck has happened to me? WHY am I running so much better and so much faster than even a month ago? Obviously the training must be helping, and all the supplemental gym work I'm doing is paying off, I just didn't expect it to be going this well.

Sunday was supposed to be a long run, on a stepback week, at 11 miles. My wife had been out of town all weekend, so I had planned to run after she got back, but she ended up not even in town until 6pm, and I still had to pick her up and go grocery shopping after. I ended up not doing the long run.

Today I ran 7 miles to make up for it a bit. It's supposed to be a cross training day, which I did some of this morning at the gym in Body Pump class. I figured, since yesterday ended up being a rest day, I could run today and be fine. My goal was to do 7 miles at race pace, which I exceeded.



Splits
Mile 1: 8:49
Mile 2: 8:42
Mile 3: 8:44
Mile 4: 8:11
Mile 5: 8:47
Mile 6: 9:12
Mile 7: 8:51

7 Miles, 1:02:12, 8:49/mi average, 748 calories burned

I just had to share my good fortune. Honestly, I don't know how long this is going to last, I hope I'll keep it up the whole way to CIM in December.

No comments: