The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hands of Hope Turkey Trot 5k

Anyone run a Turkey Trot this weekend? :) Well, what a race! Who says 5k's can't be fun?

The weather forecast's been calling for rain all weekend for at least a week, with a chance of rain pegged at 99%. Rain doesn't bother me, in fact, I've been welcoming it because you never know what the weather will be for CIM.

I did get a feeling I was in Back to the Future II though. Last night I was looking at the Accuweather hourly forecast on the iPhone, which indicated clouds prior to 9am, rain for the hour of 9, and cloudy from 10 on. Those people are amazing, as Doc Brown said, "Right on the tick!" At 9:04 the rain started, and it had stopped just before 10am.

The race went exceedingly well, although I didn't get a PR. As I commented to a someone on Twitter afterwards, two 5k PR's in a row was great, but three was pushing my luck. He told me that I might be vindicated when the official results were posted. They never were.

Speaking of luck though, with 23:15, I managed to get 2nd place in the 35-45 age group! So I ended up beaming after all, and even though I didn't PR, it was pretty darn close (11 seconds).

CIM is two weeks from tomorrow, and tomorrow is 12 more miles in the rain. Yippee!





Splits
Mile 1: 7:19
Mile 2: 7:45
Mile 3: 7:39
.1 Mi: 6:41/mi

3.1 Miles, 23:15, 7:30/mi, 326 calories burned

1 comment:

Cyberpenguin said...

Wow, that's a sub 8 pace! Awesome job, Greg! Bet that 2nd place medal made up for not getting a PR. :-D