The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Monday, November 19, 2007

The prep phase for my workout plan is complete, so now it's time to move onto the "Maximum Muscle" phase. That's the book's fancy way of saying look, the goal is to gain muscle, not lose fat...

Anyway, before I launch into the workout, a couple of things. First off, my arm is healing, although it looks really bad. Here you go:


The fluorescent lights are obviously enhancing the bruise. One person posted and said I have jaundice; I know that's not the case, it doesn't look near that way in person. Maybe now it'll garner some sympathy!

So anyway, the 2nd thing is today's a protein day. Over the weekend I had noticed I was up to 165, so last night I did a protein dinner. Combined with today's protein day, I should be back on track and then some by tomorrow.

The workout...

Warmup, 3 sets of 5 reps, w/45lb bar
* Overhead Squat
* Squat
* Good Morning
* Barbell Lunge
* Romanian Deadlift
* Bent-Over Row

Workout, alternate two exercises at a time until technical failure
* Incline Dumbbell Press, 40lb dumbbell, 2 sets of 5, 1 set of 4 (technical failure)
* Neutral-Grip Dumbbell Row, 45lb dumbbell, 3 sets of 5
* Scaption, 25lb dumbbells, 6 sets of 5
* Incline Lower Trap Raise, 15lb dumbbells, 6 sets of 5

You may or may not remember, but I had taken a month and a half off from workouts completely. As a result, I started over again, so I've done these workouts before. Compare this to the identical workout I did on 5/22/07, which was the 3rd week of this particular phase:

* Incline dumbell press, 3 sets of 5, 30lb dumbells
* Neutral-grip dumbell row, 3 sets of 5, 35lb dumbells
* Scaption, 4 sets of 5, 20lb dumbells
* Incline lower trap raise, 5 sets of 5, 10lb dumbells

I'm consistently above these on each exercise. I didn't consult the earlier exercise to see what weight to use, I simply went with what the book says, which is to lift with a 7-rep max, then do the actual lifting at 5 reps. Pretty cool!

Finally, I found a neat little online Body Fat Calculator that calculates your body fat based on measurements with a cloth measuring tape. According to the site, I'm at 18.3% body fat, which is much better than I thought it was.

Things seem to be going well!

No comments: