The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Monday, April 20, 2009

2009 Sacramento Zoo Zoom + Vlog #8!

Sunday morning was the 2009 Sacramento Zoo Zoom, a 5k/10k run to benefit the Sacramento Zoo. Last year's race was the first one I'd ever run, and I finished in 27:20. I wanted to run this year's race to see how far I'd come.

Prior to the race, I met up with Em, Irenessa, and Laura from the Sacramento Hiking Meetup Group. I also met a podcaster named Brad, from The Neumen Show. I wish I had more time to talk to him! Next time around I suppose, at another race. Perhaps at the Shriner's Run...

Anyway, I met up with Em first. It's hilarious, true to form, Em was a photo-shooting fool. She took all the pictures you see here.



At one point she handed someone else the camera. Here you see Em, Irenessa, Laura, and myself.



When we first started, there was a line of high schoolers who were a team, lined up right in front of me to the point where I couldn't find an opening to pass. Laura, on the other hand, ended up in front of them, and it took me a while during the first mile to catch up to her. I thought we'd end up finishing within seconds of each other, but she disappeared during the last mile. She said she wasn't even aware that she sped up, although looking at my splits, it looks like I slowed down.



During the race, I totally forgot to start the HRM. I know I burned about 350 calories though. Performance-wise, I didn't do well AT ALL, and actually finished slower than last year, at 28:55. I was being hard on myself, too, until I started talking to other runners. They all seem to agree that my poor performance had to do with the fact that I ran 13 miles the day before! Yeah, I suppose that had something to do with it.



I also took the opportunity to do a bit of vlogging. I was going to try to race while holding the camera more than I did, but I was too busy running to even think of it. Ah well. Here it is. :)



After the race, we hung out in the zoo for a bit, then I headed back home. All in all, a fun day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Considering you did 13 miles the day before, I think you did pretty well. Nice job!