The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tempo Run: 6 miles

Sometimes, laying out your feelings as you feel them isn't the best thing in the world to do. This is what happened to me yesterday. I've gained 20 pounds. That's no surprise, I've been weighing myself daily for the past three years. What was a surprise, however, was when I had the brilliant idea (what was I thinking?) to put some pictures side by side.

November, 2008


Last Sunday


Needless to say, I was a little bit freaked out, and there's really nothing I can do about it until after the marathon. Then today, I had my tempo run, and I was determined to do it to the best of my ability. There was no way I was going to have a bad one. I worked my butt off.

The rundown was 2 miles easy, 3 miles tempo, and 1 mile easy.



Splits
Mile 1: 9:24.95
Mile 2: 9:24.92
Mile 3: 8:34.42
Mile 4: 8:51.94
Mile 5: 8:47.50
Mile 6: 10:28.19

Given the way I felt yesterday, I really needed today's tempo run. It made me feel amazingly better. It's made me feel more confident for the marathon.

Incidentally, this was my last tempo run before the Avenue of Giants. Looking at my running itinerary (is that even a real term?), we're getting close.


One more Saturday long run, and we're in race week!

No comments: