The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hi there! I ran a 5k!

I've gotten lazy again. I've been going to the gym, I've been running, but blogging? I dunno, lately I've not felt like doing it at all. So I got myself behind, and need to catch up.

Last Saturday, I ran the Frost or Fog 5k up in Chico, CA. We lucked out too, the weather was perfect, cool in the morning, a little overcast, and warmer in the afternoon with blue skies. With my leg pain, I didn't expect to do as well as I did last year (where I was just a little over 25 minutes).

What I didn't expect, though, was having a slight asthma attack as I started. About a half mile in, I actually heard myself wheezing. It was strange, I don't think I've ever had that happen while running before, whether in a race or during training. It got better once I slowed down.





Splits
Mile 1: 8:07
Mile 2: 9:11
Mile 3: 8:57
0.1 mi: 0:59 (7:24/mi)

3.1 miles, 27:26, #40 overall, #7 in the 40-49 age group, 348 calories burned

My Garmin read 27:15, official time was 27:26. I started the Garmin as soon as the woman said START, but for whatever reason there was a 11-second difference. Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and it's still one of my favorite races. I plan on running it next year, to be sure.

No comments: