The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Almost-But-Not-Quite-Tempo Run - 6 Miles

This afternoon, I finally got around to making reservations for the motel in Garberville for April 30 through May 4. That's marathon weekend: May 2 is the Avenue of the Giants Marathon, my third marathon and a repeat of the same race I ran last year. Last year's race was on May 3, so it will be almost one year to the day. It's the same motel as well, and I got confirmation that this time around there will both be a mini fridge and a microwave in the room. It should be much better this year!

Workout wise, today was a scheduled 7-mile tempo run with a 1-mile warmup for 8 miles total. There was no way on earth I was going to be able to fit 8 miles into lunch, and come to think of it, the way I was running, 7 miles couldn't either.

Then I realized that the last two miles wouldn't make a difference, especially since on Saturday I plan to run 16 miles. The Men's Breakfast is going to be at the Dancing Tomato, which is 8 miles one way. Even with reducing today's mileage, that makes 27 total for the week.

When I ran the 6 miles, I was a little annoyed that I didn't make my pace, but I realized that two of the miles (3 and 5) were slowed by traffic. If it hadn't been for that, I likely would have had a 9:30 average which, while not under 9 minutes per mile, is still nothing to sneeze at.


See the activity on RunSaturday
Type:Run - Tempo
Duration:1:02:33
Distance:6.10 mi




Splits
Mile 1: 9:22
Mile 2: 9:34
Mile 3: 11:02
Mile 4: 9:57
Mile 5: 10:32
Mile 6: 9:32

6 miles, 1:02:33, 10:15/mi average, 653 calories burned

No comments: