The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Monday, April 26, 2010

Final Weekend Before The Marathon!

Saturday was the Run Drugs Out of Town 5k. It's most definitely spring, we started at 9 and it was already 61 degrees.


See the activity on RunSaturday
Type:Run - Race
Duration:0:25:52
Distance:3.08 mi




Splits
Mile 1: 8:19
Mile 2: 8:30
Mile 3: 8:16
.1 Mi: :46 (8:34/mi)

Garmin time was 25:52, official chip time was 25:56. Not a PR (PR would be 25:06), but given how things have gone as of late, I'm pleased. It certainly made me feel good about Sunday.

Then yesterday was my final long run, 8 miles. That one didn't go near as well. I let myself be lazy and not get up with the 6am alarm, with the brilliant thought that I'd run in the late afternoon. Mmm, the seasons are changing, dude, WHAT was I thinking?

I also decided to take the railroad access road/trail, which I've run on before and is a nice dirt surface. That was a mistake as well, over the winter lots of morons took advantage of the water and mud to have a little fun with their dirt bikes, completely pitting & carving out the trail. Since we had a few days of rain last week, all those holes are now deep puddles.

The far side of the trail was worse, not only did it have the holes, and the puddles, but the weeds are now overgrown across the trail to the point where I was more shuffling & jumping over weeds than running.

Then there was the heat. It was 82 degrees when I started, and I felt every bit of it. So my 8-miler wasn't that great a pace. But I got it done.


See the activity on RunSaturday
Type:Run - Long Run
Duration:1:46:24
Distance:8.56 mi




I also need to share with you what I discovered as I went outside to run. Who says kids aren't influenced by parents?



That's a finish chute. At the fence outside of the picture, they have it labeled START. Written on the step is the word FINISH.

No comments: