The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Monday, July 19, 2010

She went to the gym!

My wife Angel decided to join the gym, so last week, we got her signed up. Today was her first visit, which made me extremely proud!

This morning was my 5:15 Body Pump class. It was a whole new program today, with some added kick-butt maneuvers. I was doing great until I accidentally came down on my knee and broke open my sore again. Isn't it always the way? The rash is almost gone though, so I can't complain too much. 49 minutes, 203 calories burned.

Then at lunch, it was time for weight training, which went way too fast today. I need to figure out how to supplement short workouts!

Warmup, w/45lb bar, 3 circuits of 5
Overhead Squats
Squats
Good Mornings
Alternating Lunges
Romanian Deadlifts
Bent-over Rows

Workout
Incline Dumbell Press, Sets: 5,6,5x(2x35lbs)
Neutral Grip Dumbell Row, Sets: 5,6,5x(2x45lbs)
Scaption, Sets: 5,6,5x(2x30lbs)
Incline Lower Trap Raise, Sets: 5,6,5x(2x12lbs)

20:09, 93 calories burned

After the workout, I ran. Obviously, it didn't go as well as the 5k on Saturday, but it was later in the day, and I most certainly wasn't racing.


See the activity on RunSaturday
Type:Run - General
Duration:0:31:20
Distance:3.18 mi




Splits
Mile 1: 9:08
Mile 2: 9:10
Mile 3: 11:15
.17 mi: 1:48 (9:45/mi)

3.17 miles, 31:20, 9:50/mi, 344 calories

My wife decided she wanted to try the pilates class as her first workout, so I busted my butt to get home in time to take her over there. The kids were excited about going into the play area, and both girls met me at the car.

She had a decent pilates class, and said she was sore. I told her that she was going to be really sore in the morning. I'm extremely happy she finally decided to go, plus it lets me go to the gym in the evening, we have the kids with us, and my wife doesn't feel like I'm not spending time with her.

While she was in the pilates class, I got onto the stairmaster for 45 minutes. This one was a newer style than the one I have, with handles to hold and independent pedals for left & right. In fact, in order to stand high up on the machine, you have to be pedaling at a good clip. I managed to burn an additional 415 calories.

That makes 1055 calories for the day. Now I'm ready for bed.

No comments: