The Chances

How a 250+ Pound Couch Potato Got Healthy

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bok Kai Festival 5k, Marysville, CA

Last Saturday morning was the Bok Kai Festival 5k in Marysville, and I've finally found time to blog about it! I really hate when that happens.

A bit about the festival, it's been going on now for 130 years. For a long time, they tried to tell everyone that it was impossible for rain to occur on that day until about 5 years ago, when we had a downpour. The Bok Kai Festival and Parade is very much a part of the history of Marysville, and our community as a whole.

A few months ago, a friend of mine told me there was a 5k attached to the event, and this was the first I'd ever heard of it. It's obvious to me that for local events in general, there's a real communications problem. Every so often I'll see a race going on and think, why didn't I know about this? I live here for gosh sakes!

At any rate, hopefully now I'll be on their mailing list, so I should be more "in the know".

I didn't register in advance, which for a smaller race really wasn't a big deal. I registered when I arrived, and got a chance to talk to an older lady about racing, how long we'd been running, that sort of thing. In the end, she walked most of the 5k with her dog.



I probably should have taken that picture in front of the temple! Oh, well.


See the activity on RunSaturday
Type:Run - Race
Duration:0:26:44
Distance:3.09 mi




Splits
Mile 1: 8:24
Mile 2: 8:32
Mile 3: 8:47
.1 mi: :59 (9:57/mi)

3.1 miles, 26:44, 8:39/mi average, 350 calories burned

So what happened that last .1 mile? I can tell you how I felt, the way the race was organized, the last .1 included running over the top of the levee. It's pretty steep, as I passed over it, there was a guy vomiting something fierce on the side of the road. I've run over that levee many times, so I knew what I was in for and slowed.

Thanks to my procrastination and laziness, I haven't been blogging my runs lately. I'll try to get better. Promise! And for something to whet the appetite, as it were, here's a video from the race & parade.

No comments: